Canada has become one of the friendliest countries for online casino gambling. As a result, there has been a surge of new online casinos over the last few years. With so many options to choose from, you could easily be overwhelmed. For this reason, we have compiled all important information that you should take into account before choosing a Canada-friendly casino, as well as a list of the top ten online casinos available to Canadian players.
Important Factors for Canadian Online Casinos
Regulation and Licensing
The security of your personal information is a very important aspect regardless of what you do online. Trusted Canada-friendly online casinos share several common traits you can easily recognize them by.
- SSL (Secure Socket Layer) encryption protocols are in place for the purpose of protecting players and their personal information. This encryption technology ensures safe communication between computers connected to the Internet.The encryption jumbles up your sensitive data, making it impossible for hackers and other ill-intentioned persons to decipher it. Encryption of this type is practically impossible to break using present-day technology and it is considered a fool’s task to even attempt it. Most online casinos who accept play from the Great White North normally use either 128-bit or 256-bit SSL encryptions.
- Random Number Generators (RNGs) are utilized for the purpose of ensuring randomness and unbiased results. Without them, there is no way for Canadian players to know whether the games they play online are rigged or not.Reliable Canada-friendly gambling sites subject their RNGs to audits performed by third-party testing agencies like eCOGRA, TST (which also has offices in Vancouver), and iTech Labs, among others. The results of the fairness tests are published on the approved casinos’ websites so that players get to check the payout percentages of the games on offer.
- The High Return to Player Percentage (RTP) is another common trait of trustworthy online casinos that welcome play from the Canadian market. These percentages would vary between different trusted Canada-friendly casinos but in general should not drop below 95% or 96%.
- The valid license issued by a reputable regulatory body serves as a guarantee the Canada-friendly casino operates in line with the highest industry standards. This also ensures there is an authority players can turn to in case they have a dispute with a given casino operator. Offshore online casinos friendly to Canadians usually operate with licenses issued by the authorities of Kahnawake, Gibraltar, and Malta.
Who Issues the Licenses of Offshore Canada-Friendly Casinos?
Most online casinos that are available to Canadian players are licensed outside the country. There are several reputable regulators to grant licenses to such offshore gaming sites. These include:
Popular Software Providers
Online casinos are powered by several companies dedicated to the creation of online casino software. In the early days of the industry, it was the casinos who created their proprietary software. As time passed, third-party development companies emerged and since they provided a better service, they came to have a permanent place in the realm of online casinos.
Some of the biggest names among these software providers are Playtech, Microgaming, Evolution Gaming, Yggdrasil, Pragmatic Play, and Quickspin, among others.
Popular Payment Methods
There are many ways for Canadian players to transfer money to and from their online casino accounts. Moreover, they can do so in their local currency, CAD, which is supported by all major Canada-friendly gambling operations. Check out the brief overviews below for additional information on some of the most popular payment solutions for players from Canada:
Canadian Casino Bonuses
At Canada-friendly gambling sites, you will have the chance to claim some sort of a bonus. These promotions normally come in the form of sign-up offers, welcome bonuses granted with deposits, reload bonuses, free spins, cashbacks, and loyalty programs.
Before we proceed to explain how each bonus type works, we would like to draw your attention to some of the most important terms and conditions attached to such offers.
- With deposit-related bonuses, players must comply with minimum deposit amounts that do not necessarily coincide with the minimum deposit limits at the casino. Some operators require their customers to opt in for the bonus with a valid promo code.
- Wagering requirements (also called playthrough or turnover) must be met before the player can withdraw cashable bonuses and any winnings resulting from the free play. The bonus (along with the deposit at times) must be wagered by the player the stipulated number of times before a withdrawal is possible. If you have a bonus of $100 with a wagering requirement of 35x its amount, you would have to wager $100 x 35 = $3,500 before you request a withdrawal or else your bonus will be confiscated.
- Game weightings are always in place when you play with bonuses. This term denotes the contribution toward wagering of the different game types available at the casino. The higher the contribution, the quicker you cover the playthrough. Slots, keno, and scratchcards have the highest contribution of 100%. Every $1 you spend on those clears the same amount from your playthrough. In contrast, table games with a 50% weighting clear only $0.50 per every dollar wagered. Of course, these percentages may vary across gambling sites friendly to customers from Canada.
- Game restrictions may apply to certain types of bonuses. Some of the available games are either excluded from the wagering or cannot be played at all with bonus credits. Some operators would exclude all table games and video poker variants from bonus play.
- Maximum bet restrictions are also in place at many Canada-friendly online casinos. The maximum bet would be around $5 or $10, although the exact amount depends on where you gamble at. Exceeding the stipulated amount results in bonus forfeiture.
- Due to payment-method restrictions, deposits via some payment services like ecoPayz sometimes do not qualify for bonus redemption.
- All these conditions can be found either in the casino’s general terms and conditions or on its bonus terms page. It is highly recommended that you read them prior to depositing any money and redeeming a bonus to spare yourself from any unnecessary headaches.
Now that we have gotten some of the key bonus terms out of the way, let’s have a look at what types of promotions Canadian players can normally participate in.
Daily, Weekly or Monthly Reload Bonuses
Friend Referral Bonuses
Sign-up bonuses enable new customers to test a given Canada-friendly online casino at no cost before they make a real-money deposit. These offers may come in different shapes and forms but often consist either of a small symbolical sum in free casino credits or of free spins on the slots. They are granted upon registration and do not require a deposit. The withdrawable winnings from sign-up bonuses are restricted to nominal amounts that rarely exceed $100 or so.View more...
Top 10 Canadian Online Casinos
For your convenience, we have compiled a list of the best online casinos that Canadian players can frequent. Each one is a reputable and honest casino with a great track record of providing players with a fun and engaging experience.
Ask a Question. Get an Answer.
Have a question about this topic? Ask an expert at email@example.com
Find the answers of questions people asked so far:
What is the purpose of the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO)?
In 2022, the legal Ontario online gambling market was launched, with the first online casino in Ontario going live after it was licensed by the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO). The regulated iGaming market in Canada started opening its doors to players since Canada legalized single-game betting. As specific rules and regulations fall under the remit of provinces, Ontario became the first to introduce legal online gambling, with the AGCO being the regulator that issues licenses to operators in Ontario.
The province has set up a unique model for establishing a regulated iGaming market. Instead of simply licensing operators, the Ontario government launched iGaming Ontario, allowing operators to participate in the iGaming market of the province as private contractors. That means that each operator is joining forces with iGaming Ontario to have their input on the way the iGaming industry will develop in the future.
What forms of online gambling have been legalized in Ontario?
While each province in Canada is allowed to set up its own legal framework for offline and online gambling, currently, Ontario is the only province that has fully legalized online casinos and sportsbooks. The online gambling market in Ontario was launched in April 2022 and at the time of writing this, it has issued more than 70 licenses to big online casino and betting operators. When it comes to offline sports betting, Ontario has currently allowed only parlay bets on the Pro-Line system for those participating in land-based betting. However, with the regulation of online sports betting, the province has also introduced single-market betting for punters who participate in online sports betting.